It's the Water you Don't See
It's The Water You Don't See...
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a water loss. When time matters most, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform.
Here are a few tools used by Professional Restoration Contractors to properly mitigate a loss;
Moisture Sensors- used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters- used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The meter provides accurate readings to monitor the drying process.
Thermo Hygrometers- measures temperature and relative humidity to calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When handling a contaminated loss (CAT 2 or 3), it is not only important to dry the structure, but disinfect and deodorize.
Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers- used to atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. It can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach areas.
Thermal Foggers- dispenses solvent-based products by creating a dense fog that consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
The bottom line... ALWAYS treat water damage seriously. Call in a professional team like SERVPRO of Virginia Beach. We will work for you to restore your property and your life to make it "Like it never even happened."
Storm Damage Cleanup
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach provides 24 hour, 365 days a year emergency board-up services for any residential or commercial location in the Hampton Roads area. Whether you experience vandalism, storm damage, or another unexpected disaster, you want to restore your property to its normal state as soon as it can be done. Boarding-up incorrectly can cause additional moisture damages, making the situation even worse. We have Class “A” Subcontractors standing by and ready to assist in any emergency. We can provide you with one-stop shopping. Leave the inconvenience of Board-ups to the Professionals at SERVPRO of Virginia Beach to make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us 757-431-1400 to ensure no further damage occurs to the structure or its contents.
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach can Restore your Documents after any Fire
We want our customers taken care of in their most vulnerable time of need, that’s why we offer the services that we do: emergency mitigation, fire and water restoration, mold remediation, and so much more. However, one item that often times are overlooked after are our customer’s paper documents and records.
If you’re not familiar with it, here’s an overview..
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach’s Commercial Large Loss Division (CLLD) offers four services: Vacuum Freeze Drying, Gamma Irradiation, Digitizing, and Certified Destruction. Vacuum Freeze Drying is the most effective way to salvage water damaged documents. The saturated documents are immediately frozen and shipped from the loss site to Corporate where they are dried via sublimation. Sublimation is the process of solid ice converting directly to the gas state bypassing the liquid state. This prevents further damage to the water-logged documents. This process takes between 7-10 days depending on the severity and the number of documents affected. Gamma Irradiation is a process that is used for cleaning/disinfecting and decontaminating documents. In a CAT 3 situation (sewage or flood water), documents are not only deteriorating but are also contaminated with all types of bacteria. Using high-energy photons, the bacteria is killed at the molecular level. There is no fear of residual radiation or contamination, so don’t worry, you won’t turn into the Incredible Hulk. If you want to go digital with your records, we can do that too.
To bullet point and sum up the above article:
- Drying - process in which an item containing moisture is frozen and dried using vacuums and pressures to achieve sublimation(A process in which a substance is converted directly from a solid to a gas or from a gas to a solid without an intermediate liquid phase.) Note: Damaged documents should be frozen as quickly as possible to stabilize them, and prevent further damage.
- Cleaning - we offer onsite cleaning. This is cleaning each document front and back to remove debris and any surface particulate.
- Sterilization - Gamma Irradiation is a process that is used for disinfecting and decontaminating documents or other consumer goods.
- Deodorization - once paper has been wet, an odor can begin to form. Letting us deodorize your documents will reduce the odor and sometimes almost completely eliminate it.
- Destruction - we offer destruction onsite.
- Digitization - digitizing documents makes them easier to access as well as easier to store. We use state-of-the-art equipment to turn your paper copy into a digital file.
If you find yourself in need of saving damaged documents, SERVPRO of Virginia Beach and we will make it "Like it never even happened."
Winter Storm Help
Winter weather in Virginia can be very unpredictable. Though snow has not been on the forecast this year it will still prove to be beneficial to prepare your home, car and surrounding area for any impending storm. A few helpful tips for homeowners;
Salt pavement around your house: the city is pretty good with clearing the roads around your home, however any sidewalks and pathways are left up to the homeowner to clear. To make things easier on homeowners, once you are aware of any storm headed your way spread street salt on your driveway and walkway. Placing salt down prior to any snowstorm can reduce the ice that forms underneath piles of snow.
Keep a steady drip: With snow comes freezing and sometimes below freezing conditions leaving your pipes vulnerable and likely to freeze and in turn burst. Having a settle but steady drip of warm water flow through will help keep your pipes from freezing during these conditions.
Create a winter ready emergency kit: In an event of a snow storm the strength of it is always unpredictable. To keep you and your family safe, create and keep a winter ready emergency kit available. A few things to keep in the kit; bottled water, batteries, a functioning radio, different layers of clothing, blankets and non perishable food items.
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach has a 24/7 emergency response team that is well-versed to handle all storm damage in Hampton Roads, 24 hour, 365 days a year emergency for any residential or commercial location in the Hampton Roads area.
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach Offers Free ERP's
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
- A no cost assessment of your facility. This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
This Is A FREE Service To Your Company!
Commercial Property Cleanup
You don’t have time to worry about the common wear and tear that gradually soils your office. When grime, odor and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, call in SERVPRO of Virginia Beach. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on SERVPRO of Virginia Beach to make your workspace look its very best. SERVPRO of Virginia Beach will get the job done right and get it done quickly, because the SERVPRO Advantage includes these benefits: The state-of-the-art SERVPRO National Training Center teaches restoration and mitigation skills to Franchise Owners, SERVPRO’s Corporate employees and insurance industry employees. It is one of the few facilities in the country that has been recognized as a state-approved continuing education course location and IICRC approved training facility. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals offer cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing bio-hazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business. Their cleaning services include the following:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Ceilings, Floors, and Walls
- Drapes and Blinds
- Odor Removal
- Trauma and Crime Scene
Award-Winning Training Nearly 50 Years of Experience Exclusive Cleaning Products
SPECIALTY CLEANING SERVICES TRAINING EXCELLENCE
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach’s Commercial Large Loss Division is composed of our best of the best in restoration. Our elite large-loss specialists are prequalified and strategically positioned throughout the United States to handle any-size disaster. Every large loss is supervised by a commercial operations manager to help ensure seamless communication and timely mitigation.
The SERVPRO Advantage is our ability to dispatch trained production professionals and cut costs through the strategic placement and oversight of temporary labor.
COMMERCIAL LARGE LOSS DIVISION
Property Management Hospitality Facilities
Healthcare Facilities Food Service Facilities
NO JOB IS TOO LARGE
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach has the resources to help you immediately. SERVPRO performs the necessary work to reduce further damage. SERVPRO works with you and your carrier to develop and approve a recovery plan designed to reduce business interruption.
The difference between restoring and replacing your property and belongings after a fire depends greatly by how quickly help arrives and mitigation services begin. SERVPRO of Virginia Beach can be onsite within four hours of a fire loss notification. Our professionals provide timely response with mitigation services from fire, smoke and soot removal to content inventory and document restoration. Our services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition whenever possible.
Before you risk doing further damage by trying to clean up the damage yourself, call SERVPRO of Virginia Beach at 757-431-1400. We are the fire damage cleanup and restoration professionals and can make it “Like it never even happened."
What Can You Do Until Help Arrives?
- Prevent soot particles from spreading and creating additional damage by limiting movement in the structure
- Put down clean towels and/or linens on high traffic areas
- Put a coat of petroleum jelly or oil on chrome faucets, trim and appliances
- Place aluminum foil under furniture legs to prevent water from carpet wicking into upholstery
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach professionals are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to help you regain control.
Keeping House Fires at Bay
A sure sign of fire hazard season in Virginia Beach is dropping temperatures and shorter days. While we are all tempted to use our electric blankets and space heaters to stay toasty (it is important to remember to use extra caution when using these items) specifically do not plug them into extension cords or power strips. Space heaters in particular generate a lot of energy with the ability for the heating elements to reach up to 600 degrees so they should only be plugged directly into a wall outlet. When hooked up to a power strip or extension cord the outlet can overheat and potentially catch fire.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 25,000 residential fires every year are associated with the use of space heaters, causing 300 deaths.
When buying and installing a small space heater, follow these guidelines:
- Only purchase newer model heaters that have all of the current safety features. Make sure the heater carries the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) label.
- Choose a thermostatically controlled heater, because they avoid the energy waste of overheating a room.
- Select a heater of the proper size for the room you wish to heat. Most heaters come with a general sizing table.
- Locate the heater on a level surface away from foot traffic. Be especially careful to keep children and pets away from the heater.
- Plug directly into the wall outlet
As always during this time of need, make SERVPRO of Virginia Beach your first call to help you and your local insurance agent assess any damages. We will work for you to restore your property and your life to make it "Like it never even happened."
Do's and Dont's for House Fire
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting SERVPRO of Virginia Beach.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Frozen Pipe Season
Frozen pipe season is upon us. If you live in an older home, the risk of encountering frozen pipes is increased. However, it can happen to anyone because when water freezes, it expands and non-insulated pipes are more likely to burst or leak. A burst pipe can cause extraordinary damage if not handled immediately so in order to prevent pipes from freezing here are a few steps that you as a homeowner can take according to The American Red Cross:
- Be sure to completely drain water from sprinkler lines as well as outside hoses
- Open all of your kitchen cabinets to let warm air circulate around the plumbing
- Let water drip from your faucets
- Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night
SERVPRO of Virginia Beach professionals are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. Call us if your pipes freeze this winter and we will make it “Like it never even happened." 757-431-1400